everything you ever wanted to know about nothing at all...

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

The tune that is yours and mine to play upon this earth...

Looking back on the wedding plans years from now, what I think I'll remember the most is meeting the organist. We met her Sunday night at a church in Hudsonville. I wasn't really looking forward to it after a long day & a busy weekend & we didn't meet her until about 8:00 in the evening. The organist is Christie's mother's cousin & she is a picture of what I have in my mind when I think of organists; glasses, somewhat disheveled hair, speaking very expressively & happily. She brought out all the wedding classics I think, & we threw in a couple of rarities. I've heard those songs a million times & they always felt as though they belonged to somebody else, but now I feel like they belong to me. We got our own little private concert & it was great, I love to watch musicians work. I think Christie even got a tear in her eye when she heard the song she'd be walking down the aisle to, I hope that's a good tear.

Speaking of watching musicians work, the Wilco concert was splendid. Despite the people dancing & making out in front of us, it was a fine concert. They announced before the show that during their five night stand, the band was going to try to play every song in their canon, which made for a couple of lulls (possibly songs that should be left alone). Other than a few snoozers, they played many of my favorite songs, the most exciting being the great AP Carter song, When the Roses Bloom Again. Here's a clip of the song from the same night we were there...



Pot Kettle Black from the same night, ain't the internet a beautiful thing?



It was an incredible weekend, it almost makes me want to travel more. For pictures, go here.
Jill is an incredible tour guide for Chicago, she knows all the great spots & restaurants & I finally got my concert going pal back.


Five Favorite Songs of the Day

The Piano's Been Drinking (Not Me)-Tom Waits

At the Chime of a City Clock-Nick Drake, Bryter Later

To Go Home-M. Ward, Post War

Poor Places-Wilco, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

Jesus, Etc-Wilco, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

Happy Wednesday, friends...

andrew

1 comment:

Christie said...

It was a very good, happy tear. Prepare for more on the wedding day :)

Blog Archive

About Me

Grand Haven, Michigan
the sun shines on a dog's ass every now & then...