everything you ever wanted to know about nothing at all...

Sunday, October 19, 2008

The sun gets passed from tree to tree...





Happy birthday, old man! I'm not sure if you read these things or not. I wouldn't blame you if you didn't. It's better to talk to people in person. I don't think it was a coincidence that they had a John Deere tractor at the church pumpkin sale yesterday. One of the really nice couples at church were giving hayrides through Duncan's Woods (not that Duncan). The man restored a 1947 John Deere he got from his in-laws & now he gives rides to people buying pumpkins every Saturday & Sunday & to senior citizens. I can't help but think that you two would make good friends, his name is Bill, & he was the janitor at St John's for a long time before he retired a couple of years ago. It was a great unexpected ride through the woods, even though Christie was a little embarrassed to be riding on a hay ride with a bunch of little kids.

You gave us alot of memories in the fall. I especially remember that cart that you made out of those big old iron wheels that we used to take the leaves from the yard out to the woods. Every year you'd tell me stories about how big a deal it was when pheasant season came around & it sounded like the most wonderful thing. I sure am glad you used to take me out to the farm on Saturday's to work. I'm not sure I appreciated it then, but I sure do now. Anyway, we'll miss you today & we love you.

Five Favorite Songs of the Day

Muzzle of Bees-Wilco, A Ghost is Born

Freight Train Blues-Elizabeth Cotten



Mama, Your Papa Loves You-Elizabeth Cotten



Screen Door-Uncle Tupelo, No Depression

When I Get Home-Elizabeth Cotten

Happy Sunday, friends...

andrew

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Your dad's birthday and the opening day of pheasant season are cemented in my mind with fall. Grandma Gibson would spend all day cooking and making pies. It was almost like a holiday!

Pam said...

What a great blog! I've met Bill! His wife is a good friend of Peggy Steinke's, right? I had to chuckle at your first "You Tube" video. Yesterday I was thinking about our praise team--there are a lot of gray hairs up there when we play--that video will be me 30 years from now if I keep playing and praising that long! "Make a joyful noise unto the Lord." By the way, I'm much younger than your dad, starting today!

Mrs. Patterson said...

You should have seen the spring chicken dancing at the fall wedding last night. Looked like he was turning over a new leaf or two.

Blog Archive

About Me

Grand Haven, Michigan
the sun shines on a dog's ass every now & then...