everything you ever wanted to know about nothing at all...

Friday, November 23, 2007

Hallelujah! I'm ready to go!



Wednesday was a long day. I had to work from 6:45 'til about 7:30 at night. I had a customer who could be described as somewhat less than grateful call & tell me he'd be there about 10 minutes after close & asked if I could wait for him. I did, & not only did he show up late, he stayed alot longer than you would think for someone who was late. I then had to drive all the way downtown to the bank to drop off the deposit in the rain, & I had to drop something off on my way home. I was in an awful kind of mood, 'til I walked in the door & Christie was there with a big smile. I have her to come to for the rest of my life, & soon all the petty little things that were bugging me were washed away. We went out for a nice late meal at the Dee Lite & downtown Grand Haven was a great place to be on a cold & rainy night. I have a lot to be thankful for, not the least of which was spending time with my family yesterday & doing nothing at all today except drinking coffee, listening to music & watching the snow fall.

I'm trying to think of the name of a hymn that's been going through my head lately, I can hum it but I can't think of the name of it, I would venture it's probably the most popular thanksgiving hymn. Anybody have any ideas? I'm sure it was played in somebody's church Wednesday or Thursday?

For anybody who wants to listen, here's the annual Bailey White story played on NPR. Christie & I listened to it on the way home, it was good...

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=16330805


Five Favorite Songs of the Day

I Believe in You-Bob Dylan, Europe 2002

Unknown hymn

Cabaret-Louis Armstrong

Nettie Moore-Bob Dylan, Detroit 2006

Harsher Winters-Kevin Davis, Eulogies for November

Happy Friday, friends...

andrew

6 comments:

Pam said...

I'm thankful that you're enjoying your day, and that you had Christie to come home to on Wednesday, us to come home to on Thursday, and warm coffee, a cozy home, and nice music to come home to today! It makes me want to sing, "Come Ye Thankful People Come" or "Let All Things Now Living" or "Praise and Thanksgiving"? Could any of those be the tunes running through your head?

andrew! said...

Nope, it's this one...

"We Praise Thee, O God, Our Redeemer, Creator"
by Anonymous (Dutch)
Translated by Julia B. Cady Cory, 1904

1. We praise Thee, O God, our Redeemer, Creator,
In grateful devotion our tribute we bring;
We lay it before Thee, We kneel and adore Thee,
We bless Thy holy name, glad praises we sing.

2. We worship Thee, God of our fathers, we bless Thee;
Through life's storm and tempest our Guide hast Thou been;
When perils o'ertake us, Escape Thou wilt make us,
And with Thy help, O Lord, our battles we win.

3. With voices united our praises we offer,
To Thee, great Jehovah, glad anthems we raise.
Thy strong arm will guide us, Our God is beside us,
To Thee, our great Redeemer, fore'er be praise.

Hymn #568
The Lutheran Hymnal
Text: Ps. 26: 12
Author: unknown, 1626
Translated by: Julia B. Cady Cory, 1882
Titled: "Wilt heden nu treden"
Tune: "Kremser"
1st Published in: "Nederlandtsch Gedenckclanck"
Town: Haarlem, 1

Pam said...

I hadn't thought of that one! It's a good 'un!

Mrs. Patterson said...

If I comment and there is no room where will my comment go?

Dan Van said...

there is nothing like a good old Dutch Hymn to get you through the paint mill blues. In other news I found a website that rates the "Readability" of bolgs. Mine was at an Elementary level but yours was at a High School reading level. Classy. Check it out at http://www.criticsrant.com/bb/reading_level.aspx

Christie said...

I can't wait to come home to you every day also :) I love you.

Blog Archive

About Me

Grand Haven, Michigan
the sun shines on a dog's ass every now & then...