everything you ever wanted to know about nothing at all...

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Blues This Morning Falling Down Like Hail




Dig this, friends, I had the greatest dream last night. Christie, my pal Ryan & I walked into a diner somewhere down south for breakfast. We're sitting at the bar waiting for our food to come & who should walk into the restaurant? None other than Mrs. Elizabeth Cotten, the little known blues guitar player & singer who died in 1987. Her best songs include Freight Train Blues, Oh Babe it Ain't No Lie & Shake Sugaree. When I saw her, I said, "look everybody, Elizabeth Cotten's here!" Somehow she seemed to know who I was & she asked how I was doing. I told her I was doing good, but it had been a long time since I'd heard any good music. She said, "oh that's too bad". I said, "yup, it sure would be nice to hear some good music". She then played "Freight Train Blues" for me. Then the alarm clock went off.

Whenever I listen to Elizabeth Cotten, it reminds me of sitting next to Oma in church & listening to her sweet voice singing.



Five Favorite Songs of the Day

When I Get Home-Elizabeth Cotten

Ain't No Tellin'-Mississippi John Hurt



Do You Hear What I Hear?-Bob Dylan, Christmas in the Heart

Once in Royal David's City-Sufjan Stevens

Intervention-Arcade Fire, Funeral

Happy Thursday, friends...

andrew

1 comment:

Mrs. Patterson said...

Your post today was a dream come true, thanks for sharing the music.

Blog Archive

About Me

Grand Haven, Michigan
the sun shines on a dog's ass every now & then...