everything you ever wanted to know about nothing at all...

Monday, December 14, 2009

Do Right to Me Baby (Do Unto Others)

My pal Kyle gave me a disc of Christmas songs by the band Low the other day. One song is called If You Were Born Today referring to if Jesus was born today. Here's the lyrics:


If you were born today
We'd kill ya by age eight
Never get the chance to say:

Joy to the world and

Peace on the earth
Forgive them for they know not what they do

Blessed are the meek and

Blessed are the humble
Blessed are the ninety and nine

Deny the flesh

Deny all that's evil
Tonight you'll deny me thrice

If you were born today

We'd kill ya by age eight
Never get the chance to say...

Ooooo...

The song underscores how difficult it must've been for the early Christians who didn't have the benefit of having faith instilled to them as children or the benefit of living in a country where Christianity is the majority. They had to suffer their faith. I imagine that people looked upon early Christians as we might a cult. It reminds me of one of my favorite verses:

Well, I rapped upon a house
With the U.S. flag upon display
I said, "Could you help me out
I got some friends down the way"
The man says, "Get out of here
I'll tear you limb from limb"
I said, "You know they refused Jesus, too"
He said, "You're not Him".

I think there's two lessons to be taken from all of this. One, don't take anything for granted & be thankful for your parents, grandparents, great-grandparents, teachers, friends & pastors. The more important lesson comes from Mattew 25:40.

"And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me."

Five Favorite Songs of the Day

Come Thou Font of Every Blessing-Sufjan Stevens, Songs for Christmastime

In the Summertime-Bob Dylan, Shot of Love

"I'm still carrying that gift you gave, it's a part of me now, it's been cherished & saved. It'll be with me unto the grave & on into eternity."

God Said No-Dan Bern, New American Language

If You Were Born Today (song for Baby Jesus)-Low

Do Right to Me Baby (Do Unto Others)-Bob Dylan, Slow Train Coming

Happy Monday, friends...

andrew

1 comment:

Mrs. Patterson said...

Music has been too much in the background for me lately, thanks for bringing those lyrics and ideas to the forefront. Especially thanks for the scripture; can't get enough of it.

Blog Archive

About Me

Grand Haven, Michigan
the sun shines on a dog's ass every now & then...