everything you ever wanted to know about nothing at all...

Thursday, November 16, 2006


(some pictures of the greatest face to ever hit the big screen)

























I rarely read the syndicated columnists in the paper because you can usually spot their politcal colors from a mile away. The title of Cal Thomas' column caught my eye today, it's called "Where do Conservative Christians go from Here?". I've never read this guy's column before, & I'm really not sure which side of the political fence he's on. I was hoping it wasn't going to be another leftist gloating over the democrats reclaiming of power in the last election, & it wasn't.

One of my pet peeves of politics are those who use their faith (well, religion would probably be a better word to use) to try & gain political power, or those who feel as if politics and faith are interwoven. The "Vote Pro-Life" bumper stickers really bother me. It's seems to me to be an excuse for those who don't believe in the right of abortion to turn a blind eye to any other issue. I believe Christian politicians should see Jesus Christ as the way, the truth & the life and an example on how to live their lives, not as a political symbol to attract votes.

For those of you who don't care to read the column, I'll give you an excerpt.

Conservative Christians are fond of quoting God: "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord" (Isaiah 55:8). Could it be that the way of politics is man's way and, thus, not God's way.

Amen. Read the article, it makes more sense.

On a happier note, check out Dan's blog, he's heading to Montana preparing to head over to Iraq.

Five Favorite Songs of the Day

Ugly Beauty-Thelonious Monk, Straight No Chaser

Cruel-Calexico, Garden Ruin

Summer Days-Bob Dylan, Love & Theft

John Saw That Number-Neko Case, Fox Confessor Brings the Flood

The Sprout & the Bean-Joanna Newsom

Happy Thursday, friends!

andrew

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Andrew,

How's life in the Haven? Work? Social Life? Weather?

I really enjoyed today's article. I couldn't agree more. I have a major personal problem with evangelicals anyway, but this just hit it home once again. Have you seen Jesus Camp? You might get as infuriated as I did. Dan had to shush me multiple times. I know it would be a great film for you to see regarding your views on worship services and politics and religion.

I like your blog. Maybe I'll start one too. Everyone else is doing it, right?

Anonymous said...

I just realized you have another friend, Jill. I'm vain thinking there is only one out there. So this comment and the previous one are from Jill Aardema, otherwise known as Dan Van's girlfriend. Take Care

Pam said...

Interesting article and food for thought. I've always hated labels anyway. They're so black or white and no middle ground. My favorite part of the article: "With a change in focus, more people might want to hear why conservative Christians are faithful and, having heard, perhaps embrace that faithfulness. The culture might then reflect real 'family values' from the bottom up, possibly even touching politicians in Washington." I agree. Spreading the Word from the "bottom up" one person at a time is much more effective.

andrew! said...

Hello jill! I haven't seen Jesus camp, but if you say it's good, I'll have to check it out. I, too think you should start your own blog, the water's warm.

The only other jill I really know is jill from the Shawmut. Peace out!

Blog Archive

About Me

Grand Haven, Michigan
the sun shines on a dog's ass every now & then...