everything you ever wanted to know about nothing at all...

Monday, November 13, 2006

My 100th Post












Thanks to this new beta blogger thing, I found out that this is my 100th post. No need for applause.

For my 100th post, I thought I'd take a minute to talk about one of the best shows to ever hit the small screen, Northern Exposure. Set in the fictional town of Cicely, Alaska, the show highlights the quirkiness, isolation & kinship of this small town. The outsider of the town is Dr Joel Fleischman, from New York City, who is forced to be the doctor in the town in payment for his medical school. What I like most about the show is that the people from the town live the simplest of lives, yet are capable of the most abstract thoughts. What makes the show is it's characters, there's a character for everyone to relate to.

I think I started watching this show in 7th or 8th grade, about the time when I was allowed to stay up until 11:00 pm. The first episode I remember seeing was the Thanksgiving Episode, where the Indians in the town throw tomatoes at the white people as a cathartic ritual of showing their rage for having their land stolen from them. There was a parade at the end, & a feast, all to the tune of Louis Armstrong's Cabaret. Whoever wants to borrow a season or two on dvd, give me a call. Season five comes out next week!

Five Favorite Songs of the Day

The End of the Innocence-Bob Dylan, St Paul MN, 2002

Put this one towards the top of the list of the strangest songs Dylan has ever covered. He nails it, though, he really does.

Precious Angel-Bob Dylan, Slow Train

you either got faith or you got unbelief & there ain't no neutral ground...

Tonight Will Be Fine-Leonard Cohen, Songs from a Room

Brooding. Dark. Creepy. Leonard at his finest. This song probably ranks in my top ten favorite albums.

For the Price of a Cup of Tea-Belle & Sebastian, The Life Pursuit

I haven't listened to this album in a while, it's better than I remember.

Dress Up in You-Belle & Sebastian, The Life Pursuit

Dylan lyric of the day:

Do you ever wonder just what God requires? Is he just an errand boy to satisfy all of your desires?

Happy Monday, friends!

andrew

7 comments:

Christie said...

I'm curious as to which character you relate the most to?

andrew! said...

Dr Joel because he is afraid of dogs & is a stickler for personal hygiene & Chris Stevens because he loves the arts.

Pam said...

I liked the "nothing rattled her" secretary, gal Friday, of the doctor (picture #3), and the old lady storekeeper (picture #6).

Pam said...

OOPS! I turned those picture numbers around.

Mrs. Patterson said...

I'm adjusting to your new format. You surprised me by making the change. Was her name Janie or Jeanie? I really liked her hairstyle and lifestyle.

Heidi said...

Yes that was a great show. Have you seen that Men in Trees show? It reminds me a little of Northern Exposure. Probably just because its Alaska...

andrew! said...

No, I've never heard of that one. What channel is it on?

andrew

Blog Archive

About Me

Grand Haven, Michigan
the sun shines on a dog's ass every now & then...