everything you ever wanted to know about nothing at all...

Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Blues this mornin' fallin' down like hail...











I've been really into the blues lately. I don't know what it is, I've been in a pretty good mood. I'm not talking about the slick blues of folks like Stevie Ray Vaughan or Keb Mo', I'm talkin' blues that's got sharp edges to it, & that's so smoky it gets in your eyes.

There's just something about the blues that seeps into your soul. Pops Staples, the leader of the gospel group The Staples Singers was asked why he played his gospel songs in the smoky blues bars and he replied something to the effect of that when God looks down at the world he sure does get the blues. I think the blues was born out of the idea that if you're down & out you've got to dive head first into your troubles & sing about 'em before you can even think of getting out. And in singing about 'em you start to forget about 'em.

The local NPR station 'round here plays blues every friday & saturday night from 9:00 'til well into the morning. I spent many a night down in the valley listening to harvey mcknight & greg blubin play blues in the driveway. Good times.

Five Favorite Songs of the Day

Cry A While-Bob Dylan, 2002

Bob Dylan's done pretty good at the blues, sometimes he's imitating the greats, sometimes he is one of the greats. He's been playing the blues since his first album, but in this performance he finally sounds like the blues greats like Son House or Richard Brown. He looks like one, too. This version of this song displays everything I like about Bob Dylan these days. It's raw, angry, wise & ancient all at the same time.

St Louis Blues-Bessie Smith

I had no idea these videos existed. Fantastic.

Death Letter Blues-Son House

Yesterday When I Was Young-Charles Azanvour

Your Funeral My Trial-Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds

Got My Mojo Workin'-Muddy Waters & James Cotton

I've got the blues & ain't that bad, friends...

andrew

2 comments:

Pam said...

When I clicked on each link I got Bessie Smith on both. I loved when the harmonies of the audience came in as if to support her in her grief.

andrew! said...

It's fixed, now. Proceed at your own risk.

Blog Archive

About Me

Grand Haven, Michigan
the sun shines on a dog's ass every now & then...