everything you ever wanted to know about nothing at all...

Tuesday, June 05, 2007

I can't help it if you might think I'm odd...



Happy Tuesday, friends. I just got home from work, & I just waved hello to the two elderly gentlemen I always see on my way home, as I do everyday. The one guy walks his dog seemingly all day long, just about every time I drive by, always on the same 50 yard stretch of drive. He's got one of them small yippy dogs that Christie likes so much. The other one is always sitting in front of his house, not doing much of anything. At first I thought these guys to be rather strange, but then I start to wonder what they're routine is. I wonder if they notice me drive by everyday around the same time. The fella who sits in front of the house at first looked rather puzzled when I first waved at him, but by now I get a regular wave. Perhaps they wonder what I'm doing, perhaps not.

The song I listened to today when I thought of these fellas is a song called I'll Keep it With Mine, written by a one Mr Bob Dylan for the beautiful German model/singer Nico. It always amazes me listening to songs like this & realizing that it was a song that was left off one of his greatest albums. Most any other songwriter would be happy to have this song as their defining masterpiece, but for Bob it was meant for someone else to sing. I'm not sure if this was intended for Nico to sing, or if it was directed at her. It works quite well, both ways. Both versions are stunning. Here's the lyrics.


I'll Keep it With Mine

You will search, babe,
At any cost.
But how long, babe,
Can you search for what's not lost?
Ev'rybody will help you,
Some people are very kind.
But if I can save you any time,
Come on, give it to me,
I'll keep it with mine.

I can't help it
If you might think I'm odd,
If I say I'm not loving you for what you are
But for what you're not.
Everybody will help you
Discover what you set out to find.
But if I can save you any time,
Come on, give it to me,
I'll keep it with mine.

The train leaves
At half past ten,
But it'll be back tomorrow,
Same time again.
The conductor he's weary,
He's still stuck on the line.
But if I can save you any time,
Come on, give it to me,
I'll keep it with mine.


Copyright © 1965; renewed 1993 Special Rider Music

This may just be the lamest blog I've ever had. Sorry to put you through it.

Five Favorite Songs of the Day

You are a Runner & I am My Father's Son-Wolf Parade, Apologies to the Queen Mary


I love it when songs toe the line between a great melody & complete chaos...

Hold on, Hold On-Neko Case, Fox Confessor Brings the Flood

I'll Keep it With Mine-Bob Dylan, Bringing it All Back Home Outtakes

Don't Let it Bring You Down-Neil Young

Your Funeral My Trial-Sonny Boy Williamson

I go back & forth between Sonny Boy & James Cotton, but for now I'm going to pick Sonny Boy as the best harp player to ever live. If you didn't have the blues before watching this, you sure will.

Happy Tuesday, friends...

andrew

3 comments:

Pam said...

What was "lame" about your blog?? Does one of the elderly gentlemen walk with a limp?? :} Sorry about that!

Christie said...

I do love how you say hi to everyone you pass, or wave. I bet the old men think to themselves...now theres a nice fella. :)

Mrs. Patterson said...

Your mom cracks me up.

Blog Archive

About Me

Grand Haven, Michigan
the sun shines on a dog's ass every now & then...