everything you ever wanted to know about nothing at all...

Saturday, August 11, 2007

When you get up in the morning & you see that crazy sun...



I discovered a new hiking spot today, PJ Hoffmaster State Park in Muskegon. What's nice about this place is that I don't think I even did half of the trails so there'll be more to do. Christie would've loved it, it had what seemed like a mile of beach. I'm gonna guess that I hiked about 5-8 miles, alot of it uphill. I made the mistake of climbing the dune with my shoes & socks on at the beginning of the hike, leaving me with a few pounds of sand in my Adidas for the rest of the hike. This climb put me at the top of this little hill.

Alot of the hike was through the woods, but I walked the entire length of the beach leaving me a bit sunburned. The climbs will probably have made me soar by tomorrow.

The IPod shuffle was good to me today, providing me with alot of good stuff in a row, so much that I don't remember what alot of them were, but I sure did enjoy them. I'm sure I've said this before, but there's something about music that demands movement, & it's more rewarding when you're moving. My favorite things to do while listening to music are driving & walking. Music has a way of framing your surroundings, whatever they may be.

One song I do remember hearing was Mutineer by the late great Warren Zevon. For some reason, the song reminds me of Gramps. I wonder if Gramps would've liked the song, I'd like to think he would. I don't remember if Gramps ever liked to hike, my guess would be that he'd have too many projects to work on to waste time with such frivolities. If he did, I'm sure he'd study up on the dunes & how they formed the way they did.

Mutineer Lyrics
Warren Zevon


By Warren Zevon
c. 1995 Zevon Music BMI

Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum
Hoist the mainsail - here I come
Ain't no room on board for the insincere
You're my witness
I'm your mutineer

I was born to rock the boat
Some may sink but we will float
Grab your coat - let's get out of here
You're my witness
I'm your mutineer

Long ago we laughed at shadows
Lightning flashed and thunder followed us
It could never find us here
You're my witness
I'm your mutineer

Long ago we laughed at shadows
Lightning flashed and thunder followed us
It could never find us here
You're my witness
I'm your mutineer

I was born to rock the boat
Some may sink but we will float
Grab your coat - let's get out of here
You're my witness
I'm your mutineer
You're my witness
I'm your mutineer
I'm your mutineer......

I almost talked myself into playing nine holes of golf afterwards, but I'm glad I decided instead to just hit a bucket of balls. By the end of the bucket, I was good & sunstroked or something. I certainly wouldn't have made it around the course without passing out from the heat.

Other than that, there's not much to speak of for the day except a day full of good music & puttsing 'round the house.

The House Was Quiet & the World Was Calm

The house was quiet & the world was calm.
The reader became the book; and summer night

Was like the conscious being of the book.
The house was quiet & the world was calm.

The words were spoken as if there was no book,
Except that the reader leaned above the page,

Wanted to lean, wanted much most to be
The scholar to whom his book is true, to whom

The summer night is like a perfection of thought.
The house was quiet because it had to be.

The quiet was part of the meaning, part of the mind:
The access of perfection to the page.

And the world was calm. The truth in a calm world,
In which there is no other meaning, itself

Is calm, itself is summer & night, itself
Is the reader leaning late & reading there.

Wallace Stevens, 1945

Five Favorite Songs of the Day

You Are My Face-Wilco, Sky Blue Sky

Mutineer-Warren Zevon

Romulus-Sufjan Stevens, Michigan

Oh My Lord-Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, No More Shall We Part

Born in Time-Bob Dylan, Wallinford 2003

Happy Saturday, friends...

4 comments:

Christie said...

Sounds like you had a good Saturday off.. wish I could have been there with you. The wedding was nice.. my camera isnt working, I think its broke. I'll see you tomorrow!

Pam said...

You've been to P.J. Hoffmaster before - many years ago when we went to visit Uncle Mark and Aunt Jeanne. You probably forgot that. Did you jump in the lake to cool off as you were walking?

andrew! said...

I remember going to A beach while visiting Mark & Jeanne but I don't remember which one it was. It's funny the things you remember & the things you don't. I remember going past a Meijers while visiting Mark & Jeanne & dad calling it Meijer's Shifty Takers, a phrase I use to this day.

Mrs. Patterson said...

I remember PJ's, it sounds like a good workout.
I'm curious about the song Romulus, by someone in a collection called Michigan, I'll google it.
Our Kristie just had her camera repaired.

Blog Archive

About Me

Grand Haven, Michigan
the sun shines on a dog's ass every now & then...