everything you ever wanted to know about nothing at all...

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Strike Another Match, Go Start Anew...



I love that lyric, don't you? I like the idea of starting all over again. It's from the song, It's All Over Now, Baby Blue, one of my favorite songs. Apparently, Joyce Carol Oates loved the song as well, her fantastic short story "Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been?" is dedicated to & loosely based on the song.

I did my best to strike another match this week, I decided to take another job with my company. Often, I talk about my job like Uncle Leo on Seinfeld brags about Jerry's cousin Jeffrey's job at the Parks Department & for that, I apologize. I don't really deem my job that important in the scheme of things, but it's what I do. Soon, I'll be working in Holland, about a half an hour from me. It was a bittersweet decision to make, really.

First of all, I love the place where I work. The people I work with are like family to me. Anybody here that ol' joke? There's nothing they wouldn't do for me & there's nothing I wouldn't do for them & that's how we go through life, doing nothing for each other. That, of course, isn't the case. We all talk about our lives like they are open books, we're very close. There's no place I've worked for a longer period of time then Grand Haven, & there's no one I've worked with longer then Gloria.

I've been working in Grand Haven for exactly five years. I feel kind of sad that the place I've worked at will now be under some one else's control, & every thing I've worked for will probably change, for the positive & negative. I have a great base of customers, many of whom I'd consider friends & it will be sad not to see them every day. I've always liked the idea of living, working, shopping & going to the church in the same town, & that will no longer be the case. I'll be driving 20-30 minutes everyday to get to work.

On the other hand, I was starting to get bored at work, thinking there was no longer a challenge. I'm going to work at a place that's struggled for the past few years, & I'm excited at the prospect of seeing if I can turn it around. There will be new people, new customers & the old friends will still be right around the corner, it can't be all bad. Here's to old friends & new challenges.





It's All Over Now, Baby Blue


You must leave now, take what you need, you think will last.
But whatever you wish to keep, you better grab it fast.
Yonder stands your orphan with his gun,
Crying like a fire in the sun.
Look out the saints are comin' through
And it's all over now, Baby Blue.

The highway is for gamblers, better use your sense.
Take what you have gathered from coincidence.
The empty-handed painter from your streets
Is drawing crazy patterns on your sheets.
This sky, too, is folding under you
And it's all over now, Baby Blue.

All your seasick sailors, they are rowing home.
All your reindeer armies, are all going home.
The lover who just walked out your door
Has taken all his blankets from the floor.
The carpet, too, is moving under you
And it's all over now, Baby Blue.

Leave your stepping stones behind, something calls for you.
Forget the dead you've left, they will not follow you.
The vagabond who's rapping at your door
Is standing in the clothes that you once wore.
Strike another match, go start anew
And it's all over now, Baby Blue.


Copyright © 1965; renewed 1993 Special Rider Music

Five Favorite Songs of the Day

Sing Me Back Home-Merle Haggard

A Change is Gonna Come-Otis Redding

Alimony-Tommy Tucker

It's All Over Now, Baby Blue-Bob Dylan, March 17, 2004

Do Re Mi-Woody Guthrie

Happy Tuesday, friends...

andrew

6 comments:

Christie said...

I know you will do a great job in Holland!! I'm so proud of you for challenging yourself and making this decision, because I know it was hard for you!! I love you!

Mrs. Patterson said...

If anyone can turn it around in a positive way, that will be you. Hollandtown is blessed today.

Unknown said...

Times they are a changing - good for you Andy! I wouldn't recommend purchasing any wooden shoes though!

Mike said...

I aways thought that lyric was advice for what to do just prior to leaving the bathroom

andrew! said...

That, too...

Dan Van said...

I never thought the day would come but it has. Erik has left Holland! Just a joke. I think you will be a perfect fit for the job and you never know you might bump into Sufjan Stevens while on a sales call!

Blog Archive

About Me

Grand Haven, Michigan
the sun shines on a dog's ass every now & then...