everything you ever wanted to know about nothing at all...

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

I'll remember you, when the wind blows through the piney wood...

It's well known that scent is the closest sense related to memory, although I usually focus on hearing. When I hear a song I haven't heard in a long time, it can bring back memories, but those memories can often be tainted by what I think about the song. Chances are, if I liked the song, it will provide a good memory, which is usually all I'm looking for anyway.

The sense of smell doesn't lie, it brings back the most vivid of memories. The cottage in Interlochen smells exactly the way it did when I was a kid, which may sound like a bad thing, but it really isn't. I think it's a combination of campfires, woods & the lake. It's amazing how much things changed since the last time I stayed there, & how much things stayed the same. Obviously, the personnel is quite different than it used to be, there was a lot more people, & a few less people, at least when I was there. My mom & Joyce didn't do any puzzles, but they played scrabble. My dad & Mark were once again the perfect mixture of making sure people were having fun & not doing anything stupid. It was a wonderful couple of days filled with old & new memories.

Five Favorite Songs of the Day

Dreamin' of You-Bob Dylan, from the upcoming Tell Tale Signs release coming in October. Apparently, this song wasn't used for the album Time Out of Mind because the lyrics were later used in Standin' in the Doorway.

Girl of the North Country-Bob Dylan, The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan

California One/The Youth & Beauty Brigade-The Decemberists, Castaways & Cutouts

Better Halves-My Morning Jacket, Evil Urges

Thank You Too!-My Morning Jacket, Evil Urges

Happy Wednesday, friends...

andrew

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Grand Haven, Michigan
the sun shines on a dog's ass every now & then...