everything you ever wanted to know about nothing at all...
Monday, October 02, 2006
Riding the Rails
When you work on that railroad
You gotta know what old boy's
In that en-gyne,
When you head brakie
just showin up for work
on a cold mist dusk
ready to roll
to on down the line
& sea marshes
of the hobo highriding
night, flash Salinas--
"Somebody asked me where
I come from
I tell them it's none a their
Poetry just doesn't get there
Jack Kerouac, Mexico City Blues
This sounds just as much like Woody Guthrie as it does Jack Kerouac. Come to think of it, they both had a lot in common. Time to re-read On the Road & finally finish Bound for Glory. Come to think of it, it was Katie who originally lent me On the Road, & I talked to her tonight, maybe that's what made me think of this poem, who knows.
Five Favorite Songs of the Day
Sunken Treasure-Wilco, Being There
Reservations-Wilco, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
i've got reservations about so many things, but not about you...
Bisbee Blue-Calexico, Garden Ruin
Real Live Bleeding Fingers & Broken Guitar Strings-Lucinda Williams, World Without Tears
Epistrophy-Thelonious Monk Quartet with John Coltrane, at Carnegie Hall
Happy Monday, friends...
- ► 2010 (14)
- ► 2009 (31)
- ► 2008 (62)
- ► 2007 (97)
- Vacation Day Blues #2 I had a four day weekend. ...
- Days What are days for? Days are where we live. T...
- A New Path That We Trod... It was 1989, I was ten...
- (this picture was stolen from my mom's blog, mom y...
- This is Not My Tune, But It's Mine to Use Listen...
- Friends Will Arrive, Friends Will Disappear It wa...
- Sing a Little Bit of These...
- I Wish I Was Back in the City... I don't think I...
- (I didn't take this picture, I stole it off the in...
- 19 Years, su...
- Riding the Rails 180th Cho...
- ▼ October (12)