everything you ever wanted to know about nothing at all...

Monday, October 09, 2006

























































Summer Days, Summer Nights are Gone, but I Know a Place Where Something's Still Goin' On!

I'm not sure if Bob Dylan was writing about America's Pasttime when he wrote Summer Days, but it certainly fits.

I can't say how many professional sporting events I've been to in my day, probably too many to count. If Saturday's Tigers victory over the Yankees was the last game I ever attend, I'm satisfied. When Christie called me up & told me tickets were available, I was excited, but I didn't think for a second that I'd be watching the final game of the series. It wasn't until I watched Kenny Rogers' incredible pitching performance on Friday that I started to get giddy.

Things only got better when we were driving to Detroit Saturday & we found out that there might be an extra ticket for my best pal Ryan (pictured above scaring the daylights out of me by picking me up when I didn't know it after the game).

What a game it was! I've never seen Comerica Park sold out, I don't remember ever being to Tiger Stadium when it was sold out. Things inside the park were electric, & we had great seats. Jeremy Bonderman's perfect game run was only a sidemark with a game full of highlights, the biggest was after the game just as we were about to walk into the tunnel when all the players came onto the field for a great celebration, a great tribute to the fans. I've never seen so much comraderie among fans at a sporting event, people were giving high fives to complete strangers long after the game was over. Incredible.

A huge thanks to the pretty gal pictured above for taking pictures & for making the entire evening possible. Ain't she somethin', folks?

Five Favorite Songs of the Day

Alabama Getaway-Bob Dylan, New York City, 1995 (song by the Grateful Dead)

Tangled Up in Blue-Toronto, 2004

George Recile, the drummer, comes in a bit too early before a verse, changing the tempo of the entire song. Instead of mumbling his was through a verse until the band can straighten itself out, Bob takes advantage of the situation & comes up with impromptu lyrics, sung with the fire of a new great song he'd just written. He could've kept riding the wave of the band's new beat, but instead, he stops the song on a dime, with the funkiest harp solo he's ever done.

Sinners in the Mansion of the Lord-Kevin Davis & Jason Lamb, the Symphony Valley Visitor's Bureau

Everybody Loves a Train-Los Lobos, Colossal Head

One Too Many Mornings-Bob Dylan, NYC 1995

you are right from your side & I am right from mine, we're just one too many mornings & a thousand miles behind...

Happy ALCS, friends!

andrew

P.S. Here's hoping that Alan Trammell can enjoy the Tigers' success as much as all the other former Tigers who didn't get fired as manager. He had alot to do with it.

4 comments:

Pam said...

She sure is something! Thanks Christie for making my #1 son "giddy" and "giddier" and thanks Ryan for the "giddyup" ride for him! The pictures were awesome. They really capture the mood!

Mrs. Patterson said...

Thanks for mentioning Trammel, he indeed had a lot to do with it. Yes, I agree she sure is someone I'd like to meet. I noticed in the skyline picture that the sky was blue and orange, appropriately dressed. I've been giddy all day, and I didn't even get to go to a game.

Heidi said...

Awesome! It looks like you had a fabulous time, Great Pictures!!!

Anonymous said...

Listened to some Bob Dylan myself last night. Matt got the job at the record store and gave me a James Taylor record. NIce pictures

Blog Archive

About Me

Grand Haven, Michigan
the sun shines on a dog's ass every now & then...