It's Been a Strange, Strange Day
Maybe there's something in the water, here today, maybe it's the weather, but something just ain't right. Maybe it's me.
We've been quite slow at work lately, at least with traffic, & it always seems to be that there's always one of those slow days when everything that comes easy before catches up with you later all in one day. Thank goodness it all stays in the same day. I won't bore you with all the little details of the strange things that happen, but I will say as a new resident to this fair city, it makes me wonder if everybody in this town is this strange. I'm sure they think the same way about me.
Five Favorite Songs of the Day
I'm Lonely (But I Ain't That Lonely Yet)-the White Stripes, Get Behind Me Satan
Jack White is an interesting character. Seeing Bob Dylan bring him up onstage at the State Theatre to perform Jack's "Ball & a Biscuit" in 2004 was one of the most exciting things I've ever seen, although the performance was a bit ragged. I'm Lonely goes against everything I've ever heard from the Stripes, & of course, that's a good thing. Maybe I can find a link to it. Don't worry ma, it doesn't have any whiny guitar.
Supposed to Make You Happy-Tift Merritt, Bramble Rose
I don't know if you'd call this folk or country or blues, but it really doesn't matter, it's beautiful.
Carry Me-Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, the Lyre of Orpheus
Who knew a gospel choir would work so well on a Cave album? Nick Cave is that rare artist who can repulse me with some of his music & blow me away with the rest of it. Obviously, this song fits in the latter category.
Cannon-the White Stripes, the White Stripes
Minimalist rock at it's finest. This song would make Blind Willie Johnson proud, or it would give him a headache.
Breathless-Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, the Lyre of Orpheus
Nick Cave couldn't write a sappy love song if he tried, but he does the best he can, here.
Take care, friends. Keep a good head & always carry a light bulb.
everything you ever wanted to know about nothing at all...
- ► 2010 (14)
- ► 2009 (31)
- ► 2008 (62)
- ► 2007 (97)
- Different Ideas of Customer Service I just got do...
- A Big Boat I just got back from hanging out in Da...
- Road Trip! I'm excited 'cause tomorrow I get to s...
- Tennis anyone? It's spring & still snowing, here ...
- It's Been a Strange, Strange Day Maybe there's so...
- Did I Miss the Mark, or Overstep the Line, that On...
- A Walking Antique I must be getting old, or stupi...
- Nothing new to report, today. It's cold. Bitter ...
- Born Yesterday Seeing as how Joyce knew the poem ...
- I Love Public Radio Working on Saturday mornings ...
- It's appraisal time at work. This was the first t...
- There's an old Phil Ochs song that goes "I've got ...
- ▼ March (12)