everything you ever wanted to know about nothing at all...

Thursday, March 23, 2006

It's Been a Strange, Strange Day

Maybe there's something in the water, here today, maybe it's the weather, but something just ain't right. Maybe it's me.

We've been quite slow at work lately, at least with traffic, & it always seems to be that there's always one of those slow days when everything that comes easy before catches up with you later all in one day. Thank goodness it all stays in the same day. I won't bore you with all the little details of the strange things that happen, but I will say as a new resident to this fair city, it makes me wonder if everybody in this town is this strange. I'm sure they think the same way about me.

Five Favorite Songs of the Day

I'm Lonely (But I Ain't That Lonely Yet)-the White Stripes, Get Behind Me Satan

Jack White is an interesting character. Seeing Bob Dylan bring him up onstage at the State Theatre to perform Jack's "Ball & a Biscuit" in 2004 was one of the most exciting things I've ever seen, although the performance was a bit ragged. I'm Lonely goes against everything I've ever heard from the Stripes, & of course, that's a good thing. Maybe I can find a link to it. Don't worry ma, it doesn't have any whiny guitar.

Supposed to Make You Happy-Tift Merritt, Bramble Rose

I don't know if you'd call this folk or country or blues, but it really doesn't matter, it's beautiful.

Carry Me-Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, the Lyre of Orpheus

Who knew a gospel choir would work so well on a Cave album? Nick Cave is that rare artist who can repulse me with some of his music & blow me away with the rest of it. Obviously, this song fits in the latter category.

Cannon-the White Stripes, the White Stripes

Minimalist rock at it's finest. This song would make Blind Willie Johnson proud, or it would give him a headache.

Breathless-Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, the Lyre of Orpheus

Nick Cave couldn't write a sappy love song if he tried, but he does the best he can, here.

Take care, friends. Keep a good head & always carry a light bulb.

andrew

3 comments:

Pam said...

I sure do wish there was a way to click on your favorite songs and hear them. Nice to talk to you last night--looking forward to seeing you Sunday. I hope Jenni can make it! RWYA

Mrs. Patterson said...

Strange is as strage does.

Mrs. Patterson said...

insert the n

Blog Archive

About Me

Grand Haven, Michigan
the sun shines on a dog's ass every now & then...