everything you ever wanted to know about nothing at all...

Saturday, March 17, 2007

Let's Have a Ball & a Biscuit, Sugar, & Take Our Sweet Little Time About It...




Three years ago today, Ryan & I went to the third of three Bob Dylan concerts at the State Theatre in Detroit. I was there the night before, & many people told me I was crazy for seeing the same concert two nights in a row. I probably am crazy, but both concerts were completely unique experiences, with very few songs being repeated. Many of my favorites were played, including an incredible, newly arranged version of It Ain't Me, Babe, a beautiful version of Boots of Spanish Leather & a version of Cold Irons Bound that was so loud it's hanging around in the smog above Detroit. After the standard encores of Cat's in the Well, Like a Rolling Stone & All Along the Watchtower, Bob & the band came out for a smoking version of Bob Seeger's Get Out of Denver. Seeger was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame earlier that week.

The next day, I figured that it would be hard to top the night before, but the show was almost as good with great performances of Man in the Long Black Coat & Every Grain of Sand among many others. After the encores, in the dark we could see the band coming out again, but this time we could see a long-haired fella who wasn't a regular member of the band. Bob played a few chords on the piano before the lights came on, & everyone saw one of Detroit's favorite sons, Jack White of the White Stripes on Stage. What was better as they were playing White's song, Ball & a Biscuit. As far as I can remember, this was the only time Dylan has brought on a younger musician (or an older musician, for that matter) to join him on their own song. The place went nuts, & the crowd was stunned.

Jack White has referred to the experience as the highlight of his career, it was definitely one of the biggest highlights of any concert I've ever been to.

Thanks for letting me share.

Five Favorite Songs of the Day

The Big Three Killed My Baby-the White Stripes

Stack O' Lee-Mississippi John Hurt, Avalon Blues: The Complete 1928 Okeh Recordings

Isis-Bob Dylan, Live 1975

Isis, oh Isis! you're a mystical child, what drives me to you, is what drives me insane...

Beginning to See the Light-the Velvet Underground

Poison Cup-M. Ward, Post War

Happy Saturday, friends...

andrew

2 comments:

Christie said...

so it was the best highlight, was that the best bob dylan concert you've been to yet?

andrew! said...

No, overall that would be the show in Grand Rapids in 2001 where we got real close to the stage & he debuted Po' Boy. "you're such a dork!" I know, dear, I'm sorry.

Blog Archive

About Me

Grand Haven, Michigan
the sun shines on a dog's ass every now & then...