everything you ever wanted to know about nothing at all...

Thursday, October 11, 2007

Try imagining a place where it's always safe & warm...


One of the highlights of just about every week are the nights when friends meet at JW's for food & a couple of drinks. All kinds of topics get discussed from politics to work to religion & all kinds of things in between. All kinds of folks pass through JW's, & the crowd usually changes from week to week, but it's always good.

In other notes, here's to 1976, a great performing year for Bob Dylan. He was fresh off two of his finest albums, Blood on the Tracks & my personal favorite, Desire. 1976 had a bit more focus then the wild tours of the Rolling Thunder Revue in 1975, but weren't as stiff & rigid as the stadium tours with The Band in 1974. Here's a few examples.

Here's one of the songs that really got me hooked on Dylan, my favorite version of the song...



with Joan Baez singing the Woody Guthrie song, Deportees...



The best of them all, Idiot Wind...



Ask Me

Some time when the river is ice ask me
mistakes I have made. Ask me whether
what I have done is my life. Others
have come in their slow way into
my thought, and some have tried to help
or to hurt: ask me what difference
their strongest love or hate has made.

I will listen to what you say.
You & I can turn & look
at the silent river & wait. We know
the current is there, hidden; and there
are comings & goings from miles away
that hold the stillness exactly before us.
What the river says, that is what I say.

Five Favorite Songs of the Day

Idiot Wind-Bob Dylan, Hard Rain

Wagon Wheel-Old Crow Medicine Show

I Just Don't Know What to do with Myself-the White Stripes, Elephant

To Be Myself Completely-Belle & Sebastian, the Life Pursuit

Shelter From the Storm-Bob Dylan, Hard Rain

Happy Thursday, friends...

andrew

3 comments:

Pam said...

1976 - Sorry Andy, but I have no recollections of Bob Dylan that year! I was busy with a 2 year old and a pregnancy for baby #2.

Mrs. Patterson said...

I Just Don't Know What to do with Myself-the White Stripes, Elephant

I could use a tutorial here. I know "I Just Don't Know What to do with Myself" is the song. Now, the White Stripes . . is that the album or the artists or is Elephant the artist? Do you always use the same format? Song, artist, album ?

andrew! said...

Song-Artist, Album

Blog Archive

About Me

Grand Haven, Michigan
the sun shines on a dog's ass every now & then...