everything you ever wanted to know about nothing at all...

Tuesday, October 02, 2007

My Parents They Warned Me Not to Waste My Years, I've Still Got Their Advice Oozing Out of My Ears...




Sometimes I envy those people that are constantly getting things accomplished. They can't sit still, even if they aren't working. I think I can be that way if I want to. Today, however, I really don't want to. I can think of about ten things I could get done, but all of those are taking a backseat to listening to & downloading tunes. Some kind soul has posted all of the Theme Time Radio Hour episodes on the internet & I've had a good little system of downloading about 5-7 a week so that I can listen to one or two every day at work. For those of you who haven't heard, Theme Time Radio Hour takes a theme each week & plays songs by different artists about the theme. It's brilliant & it is great background music for work.

The weekend & yesterday was productive, so I'll use that as my excuse to be lazy today. We got our pictures taken on Saturday in downtown Grand Rapids & despite my early resistance, I actually kind of liked it & I'll tell you why: The photographer actually used settings that I would like to see pictures of even if my ugly mug wasn't in them. For a better description of the pictures, go to Christie's blog. My face is still a bit sore from smiling so much.

I'm finally somewhat satisfied with the great stripes project of '07, after hours & hours of struggle. It took a while to figure out the best system to get it to look right. I've only got about an hour of touch ups to do before it's completed, & I must say, it looks like the cat's ass.

Yesterday, Christie & I both had the day off, so we went out to breakfast at the Morningstar before we met with the pastor. I did some more painting, went grocery shopping & saw one of the worst movies of all time, Good Luck, Chuck.

While I'm on the subject of nothing at all, allow me to conduct a poll of my reading audience. I can't think of anyone who regularly reads my blogs who has bad taste in decorating, so I think I'm safe. I have vinyl flooring in my kitchen, dining room & in both bathrooms which looks okay, but I'm not a fan of vinyl, I think it looks cheap. Eventually, I plan on tiling or putting down hardwood, but at the moment I can't really afford it. Underneath the vinyl is concrete. I pulled up the carpet in the closet & found out that the concrete is quite smooth. My idea is to clean the concrete & stain it & doing a treatment with a wash over top of the stain. Does anybody else think this is a good idea or am I an idiot? Well, don't answer that.

Five Favorite Songs of the Day

Diamond Shoes-Tift Merritt, Bramble Rose

Desolation Row-Bob Dylan, Wembley 2003

My favorite version of my favorite song, you can't go wrong with this one. I can't even explain it, it's like that old Louis Armstrong line, "if somebody has to explain it, it's no use", or something like that. Here's a video of the song from later in the tour, but it doesn't touch the version from Wembley, a concert that I listen to more than any other.



Wildwood Flower-The Carter Family

The New Pollution-Beck, Odelay

Ten years ago, I bought this album & played it over & over in my dorm room. I'm getting old.

The Trapeze Swinger-Iron & Wine

Happy Tuesday, friends, get something done...

andrew

5 comments:

Christie said...

Ugh, what a terrible picture of me! Seriously, its been about 8 blogs now... you can stop :) Hope you have a great day of relaxing!

andrew! said...

No way! I've got a system!

Pam said...

I have seen HGTV shows where they have stained concrete floors. I think it might look nice. However, it's probably hard on your feet and legs if you stand for hours cooking in the kitchen :)! And, I would hate for you to tear up the vinyl to see there are paint splatters on the concrete. But then, I guess you'd know what could be done about that considering the business you're in! How about that? All of those words, giving no opinion at all!

Heidi said...

Could be very cool, and what is the worst that could happen? You'd waste some stain, and have to recover it when you get the cash. I say go for it... and let me know how it turns out. As to Moms comment about it being hard... there are always area rugs. :)

Mrs. Patterson said...

I welcome the concrete floor idea because I think it would look better than vinyl. I will say that it will be colder in the winter than the vinyl, yet I can picture a nice looking rug for warmth.
I recognize the Carter family song. I'll look at the videos tomorrow.

Blog Archive

About Me

Grand Haven, Michigan
the sun shines on a dog's ass every now & then...