I Like this Poem
Extinction of Silence
That it was shy when alive goes without saying
We know it vanished at the sound of voices
Or footsteps. It took wing at the slightest noises
Though it could be approached by someone praying.
We have no recordings of it, though of course
In the basement of the Museum, we have some stuffed
Moth-eaten specimens-the Lesser Ruffed
And Yellow Spotted-filed in narrow drawers.
But its song is lost. If it was related to
A species of Quiet, or of another feather,
No researcher can know. Not even whether
A breeding pair still nests deep in the bayou,
Where legend has it some once common bird
Decades ago was first not seen, not heard.
Now would everybody please shut up?
everything you ever wanted to know about nothing at all...
- ► 2010 (14)
- ► 2009 (31)
- ► 2008 (62)
- ► 2007 (97)
- I just gained 30 pounds, in one night! Gloria had...
- for Christen...thanks for the pic, joyce.
- Great Things Happen when Mom & Joyce Come to Tow...
- Oh Sister! Yesterday was my sister's birthday, 29...
- Home By Eleven All in all, it was a pretty good d...
- Daddy Sang Bass Tomorrow's father's day, so here'...
- The Broken Mirror of Innocence Well, my honeymoon...
- Why I'm a Dork: Part I Okay, I've accepted the...
- I Followed the River & I Got to the Sea... The...
- I Was So Much Older Then, I'm Younger than that N...
- I Like this Poem Extinction of Silence That it w...
- Roll Down the Window & Let the Wind Blow Back ...
- ▼ June (12)