(the great Clarence Ashley with Doc Watson)
Love Songs in Age
She kept her songs, they took so little space,
The covers pleased her:
One bleached from lying in a sunny place,
One marked in circles by a vase of water,
One mended, when a tidy fit had siezed her,
And coloured, by her daughter-
So they had waited, till in widowhood
She found them, looking for something else, and stood
Relearning how each frank submissive chord
Had ushered in
Word after sprawling hyphenated word,
And the unfailing sense of being young
Spread out like a spring-woken tree, wherein
That hidden freshness sung,
That certainty of time laid up in store
As when she played them first. But, even more,
The glare of that much-mentioned brilliance, love,
Broke out, to show
Its bright incipience sailing above,
Still promising to solve, and satisfy,
And set unchangeably in order. So
To pile them back, to cry,
Was hard without lamely admitting how
It had not done so then, and could not now.
Philip Larkin, the Whitsun Weddings
Five Favorite Songs of the Day
The Coo-Coo is a Pretty Bird-Clarence Ashley, Anthology of American Folk Music
The Levee's Gonna Break-Bob Dylan, Modern Times
Critics will make obvious statements about how this song is somehow a comment on the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, but this has the swagger of many a great blues song.
Love Would Come-Kevin Davis & Valerie Marincic
Hold on, Hold on-Neko Case, Fox Confessor Brings the Flood
Mutineer-Warren Zevon, the David Letterman Show (more about this one later)
Happy Wednesday, friends!
everything you ever wanted to know about nothing at all...
- ► 2010 (14)
- ► 2009 (31)
- ► 2008 (62)
- ► 2007 (97)
- Vacation Day Blues #1 Day #1 of 13 vacation days ...
- A Quick Story About Joyce We had a halloween part...
- Carving up the Calendar It always seems to hap...
- If There's an Original Thought Out There, I Could ...
- A Little Blake to Seal the Deal... Night Th...
- Birds are Leaving Over Autumn's Ending... I don'...
- What's the Matter With Me? I Ain't Got Much t...
- Don't Waste Your Words, They're Just Lies I had a...
- One Coat or Two? I'm sitting here at the Schr...
- Ain't Talkin' (for Joyce) Five Favorite Song...
- (the great Clarence Ashley with Doc Watson) Love ...
- (one of these days I'll get me one of those digita...
- (this is meant as a substitute for a picture of mi...
- ▼ September (13)